Contact us
1 (951) 955-6200
 Live Agents from 8 am-5 pm, M-F

Obtaining a Public Marriage License

The County Clerk's office issues marriage licenses Monday through Friday (except holidays) from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM at the following locations: CAC Downtown Riverside, Gateway East Riverside (extended hours on Thursdays only from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm), Hemet, Temecula, and Palm Desert. Licenses are valid for 90 days and may be used in any county in the State of California.

To obtain a marriage license you must meet the following requirements:

  • Both parties MUST be 18 years of age or older. If one or both parties are under 18, then a court order for the minor must be obtained before a license can be issued. This applies to emancipated minors as well. The minor must bring the original court order. Minors may NOT be issued a confidential marriage license under any circumstances (Family Code Section 500).
  • Both parties MUST come into the office TOGETHER to obtain the marriage license.
  • Both parties MUST have a valid, current picture identification. The identification must be government issued. Some examples include: State issued Driver's License or identification card; Military identification; Green Card; Naturalization Certificate; Passport.
  • If either party has been divorced or has had a dissolution of a State Registered Domestic Partnership within 90 days of the issuance of the marriage license, a copy of the FINAL Dissolution IS REQUIRED. We will take a copy of the register of actions showing the written final decree of dissolution has been entered. The divorce paperwork does not need to be certified. A copy of a Minute Order IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The fee for a public marriage license is $90.00

Once a public marriage license is issued, the ceremony must be performed within the State of California within 90 days from the issuance of the marriage license.

A civil ceremony may be performed by appointment at the following locations: Gateway East Riverside (extended hours on Thursdays only 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm), Downtown Riverside, Hemet, Temecula (outside courtyard only), and Palm Desert.  Your ceremony may be performed the same day you obtain your marriage license provided you have an appointment.  You must provide at least one witness for the marriage ceremony.

To apply for a Public Marriage License click here.

Para solicitar una licencia de matrimonio publica en linea haga clic aqui.

For additional information, please contact any one of the County Clerk's office locations during regular business hours.