Registering as a Legal Document Assistant
The County Clerk's office processes Legal Document Assistant registrations Monday through Thursday (except holidays). See Locations for business hours. Registration may be completed in the Riverside Gateway or Palm Desert locations. To register as a Legal Document Assistant with Riverside County, you must meet the following requirements:SMALL
- You MUST meet the education and experience requirements.
A certificate of completion from a paralegal program approved by the American Bar Association.
A certificate of completion from a paralegal program that is institutionally accredited but not approved by
the American Bar Association, that requires successful completion of a minimum of 24 semester units,
or the equivalent, in legal specialization courses.
A baccalaureate degree in any field and either a minimum of one year of law-related experience under
the supervision of a licensed attorney, or a minimum of one year of experience, prior to January 1,
1999, providing self-help service.
A high school diploma or general equivalency diploma, and either a minimum of two years of lawrelated
experience under the supervision of a licensed attorney, or a minimum of two years experience,
prior to January 1, 1999, providing self-help service.
- You MUST provide supporting documentation for education and experience qualifications.
- An applicant shall be denied registration or renewal of registration if the applicant has been any of the following:
Convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor under Business and Professions Code Section 6126 or
6127, or found liable under Section 6126.5. Held liable in a civil action by final judgment or entry of a
stipulated judgment, if the action alleged fraud, or the use of an untrue or misleading representation, or
the use of an unfair, unlawful, or deceptive business practice.
Convicted of a misdemeanor violation of this chapter.
Had a civil judgment entered against him or her in an action arising out of the applicant's negligent,
reckless, or willful failure to properly perform his or her obligation as a legal document assistant or
unlawful detainer assistant.
Had his or her registration revoked pursuant to Business and Professions Code Section 6413.
- You MUST have a bond in the amount of $25,000.00. The bond must have a term beginning date, and must either show the expiration date of the bond or show the term of the bond is 2 years. The bond must be bound to the County of Riverside.
- Your photo for your Legal Document Assistant ID card will be taken at the County Clerk's office during the time of registration.
- You MUST present valid government issued picture identification.
- The filing fee for registering as a Legal Document Assistant is $197.00 if you have a one-page bond. If your bond is more than one page, there is an additional fee of $3.00 per page for the extra pages.
If you are a partnership or corporation, you MUST complete Corporation/Partnership Registration as a Legal Document Assistant form provided by this office. ALL partners or corporate officers MUST be on the registration form. An application for a certificate of registration by a partnership or corporation shall be accompanied by a bond executed by a corporate surety qualified to do business in this state and conditioned upon compliance with this chapter in the following amount, based on the total number of legal document assistants and unlawful detainer assistants employed by the partnership or corporation:
- Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) for one to four assistants.
- Fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for five to nine assistants.
One hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) for 10 or more assistants. An application for a certificate of registration by a person employed by a partnership or corporation shall be accompanied by a bond of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) only if the partnership or corporation has not posted a bond in the
amount required by this subdivision.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please read the information page attached to the registration forms before filing.
After you have all the required documentation, you may file the paperwork in person at the County Clerks Office in Riverside (Gateway) or Palm Desert. (If partnership or corporation, only 1 partner or corporate officer needs to come in to the office.) If you have any questions, you may call Riverside at (951) 486-7000, or Palm Desert at (760) 863-8732.