Registering by Certified Mail
To process a Notary Public application by mail you must forward to the County Clerk, by Certified Mail, the following:
- Photocopy of commission
- Original Bond in the amount of $15,000 which reads exactly as the commission.
- Print return mailing address in top left hand corner of bond. Bonds submitted without mailing address will be returned.
- Two completed oath of office forms. Each copy must be originally signed by applicant and the notary who administered the oath. (Notary must take oath in the county where the oath will be on file)
- Fee of $60.00 (Includes recording fee). If bond is more than one page, there is an additional fee of $3.00 per page after the first page.
- An additional $1.00 and a self-addressed, stamped envelope, if a customer copy of the bond is desired.
The County Clerk's office will verify the documents, file the bond, forward it to the Recorder's office, issue the oath of office for the Secretary of State, and the signature card for the County Clerk's office.
No customer copy will be returned unless a self-addressed stampled envelope, together with a copy of the bond, is provided. Once the notary receives the customer copy of the bond, they may start notarizing documents. The original bond will be returned in approximately 3-4 weeks.
All Notary Oaths filed by mail must be sent to P.O. Box 751, Riverside, CA 92502-0751. If the oath is sent to any other address, there is no guarantee that it will be received at the correct office for processing in a timely manner. Documents must be received by the Clerk's office at least 10 days prior to the filing due date that appears on your oath.
For additional information, please contact any one of the County Clerk's office locations during regular business hours.