Registering as an Unlawful Detainer Assistant
The County Clerk's office processes Unlawful Detainer Assistant registrations Monday through Thursday (except holidays). See Locations for business hours. Registration may be completed in the Riverside Gateway or Palm Desert locations. To register as an Unlawful Detainer Assistant with Riverside County, you must meet the following requirements:
- You MUST be registered by the county clerk in the county in which your principal place of business is located (deemed primary registration), and in any other county in which you perform acts for which registration is required (deemed secondary registration).
- You MUST complete the Individual Registration as an Unlawful Detainer Assistant form provided by this office.
- An applicant shall be denied registration or renewal of registration if the applicant has been any of the following:
Convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor under Business and Professions Code Section 6126 or 6127, or found liable under Section 6126.5.
Had a civil judgment entered against him or her in an action arising out of the applicant’s negligent, reckless, or willful failure to properly perform his or obligation as a legal document assistant or unlawful detainer assistant.
Had his or her registration revoked pursuant to Business and Professions Code Section 6413.
Be currently disbarred or suspended from the practice of law.
- You MUST have a bond in the amount of $25,000.00. The bond must have a term beginning date, and must either show the expiration date of the bond or show the term of the bond is 2 years. The bond must be bound to the County of Riverside.
You MUST provide two small pictures for your Unlawful Detainer Assistant I.D. card and temporary I.D. card. The picture should be approximately 1 ¼” by 1 ¼”.
You MUST present valid government issued picture identification.
- The filing fee for registering as an Unlawful Detainer Assistant is $197.00 if you have a one-page bond. If your bond is more than one page, there is an additional fee of $3.00 per page for the extra pages.
If you are a partnership or corporation, you MUST complete Corporation/Partnership Registration as an Unlawful Detainer Assistant form provided by this office. ALL partners or corporate officers MUST be on the registration form. An application for a certificate of registration by a partnership or corporation shall be accompanied by a bond executed by a corporate surety qualified to do business in this state in the following amount, based on the total number of Unlawful Detainer Assistants employed by the partnership or corporation:
- Twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) for one to four assistants.
- Fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for five to nine assistants.
- One hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) for 10 or more assistants. An application for a certificate of registration by a person employed by a partnership or corporation shall be accompanied by a bond of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) only if the partnership or corporation has not posted a bond in the amount required by this subdivision
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please read the information page attached to the registration forms before filing.
After you have all the required documentation, you may file the paperwork in person at the County Clerk’s Office in Riverside (Gateway) or Palm Desert. (If partnership or corporation, only 1 partner or corporate officer needs to come in to the office.) If you have any questions, you may call Riverside at (951) 486-7000, or Palm Desert at (760) 863-8732.